How to tell if your brakes are worn? You should never underestimate the importance of working car brakes when on the road. After all, they are the most essential part of any car and help to keep drivers and passengers safe. Despite recent technological advancements, roughly 25% of cars have malfunctioning brakes. For this reason, regular check-ups and good maintenance are vital.
How to tell if your brakes are worn
Warning signs of brake problems
• The brake light is on
• Squealing, squeaking or grinding noises
• Wobbling, vibrations or scraping sounds when braking
• Leaking fluid
• A spongy or soft brake pedal
• The car pulling to one side when braking
• A burning smell while driving
You should have your brakes checked at least once every 6 months. However, this does depend significantly on your driving style. If, for example, you’re driving an automatic vehicle or use your car every day, you’ll need to bring your vehicle into our garage for check-ups more regularly. We recommend that you ask your Sweeneys Garage specialist for tailored advice.
As mentioned above, it’s recommended that you have your brakes checked at least once every 6 months. However, we strongly recommend that you book an appointment immediately at Sweeneys Garage if any of the following happen to your car:
• The steering wheel begins vibrating whenever you brake
• The brake pedal becomes harder or softer than normal when you brake
• There is a delayed response when you touch the brakes or you need more distance to stop
• The brakes and/or ABS signals light up on your dashboard (refer to your car manual to double-check what these signals (red or amber) mean)
Parts that are subject to wear like the brake pads, discs and drums should be checked regularly too. Brake fluids must be checked every two years as they absorb water from the air over time.
Contact Sweeneys Garage today
As one of the leading light and car commercial vehicle providers in Ireland, here at Sweeneys Garage, we offer a 12-month warranty, free brake check and free car collection services for brake problems within 2 kilometres of the garage.
If you’ve got worn car brakes on your hands or are looking for replacement brakes, don’t hesitate to get in touch with Sweeneys Garage. We’re more than happy to provide you with car brake pad and disc repair and replacement services.